What Is Pet-Friendly Flooring?
May 13, 2019
As a homeowner, you want flooring that provides comfort, offers durability and expresses your personality. But when you own pets, choosing the right flooring materials can be a real challenge. How do you keep your pet safe and comfortable, while simultaneously protecting your floors from moisture, staining, scratches, and damage?
Fortunately, the friendly flooring experts at Flooring America make it easy to find materials that are compatible with every member of your family — including Fido and Fluffy. Whether you’re in search of the best flooring for pet urine, scratch-resistant flooring for dogs, or other pet-proof flooring options, read on to learn the basics and get some design ideas your furry friends will love.
What is Pet-Friendly Flooring and the Different Types of Pet-Proof Options
What is Pet-Friendly Flooring?
There are a few different factors to consider when shopping for “pet-friendly” flooring. Think about the following questions when you’re comparing options:
- Is it resistant to other types of damage or wear-and-tear? Scratches aren’t the only source of pet damage. Stains, mud, and moisture can also take a toll, especially on hardwoods. If urine or moisture is your main concern, consider a line of waterproof products, like luxury vinyl.
- Is it resistant to scratches? Scratch marks are often a major concern for dog owners. Some scratch-resistant options include hardwoods (for example, cherry and walnut rate high on the Janka scale, read on for more details), stone tile, and luxury vinyl.
- Will it be comfortable for your pet? Pets appreciate a soft landing just as much as their owners — especially ones that like to jump! Plush, flexible flooring materials like carpet and cork offer more cushioning and support than hard materials like stone or wood.
- Does it offer traction for your pet? Both dogs and cats need adequate traction, or the ability to “grip” the floor, to ensure that they can safely navigate your house. Some types of flooring provide more traction than others.
What Does it Mean for Flooring to Be Pet-Proof?
The phrase “pet-proof flooring” means that it has to be tough enough to withstand damage from urine, scratching nails, tracked-in mud, and other hazards to your home. Durable, waterproof, and easy-to-clean are the qualities in flooring that essentially make it “pet-proof”. But pet-friendly flooring should not only satisfy your needs as a pet owner, but as a homeowner as well. Luckily there are plenty of flooring options that can satisfy every need, whether it is style or durability.
Scratch-Resistant Flooring for Pets
Pedicure, anyone? The wear-and-tear from scratchy dog nails can scar your floors for life — and burn through your wallet in the process. But don’t worry: there are flooring options that are specially designed to withstand pet damage from those scratching, clacking nails. If you’re searching for a scratch-resistant product, here are three options to consider:
- Hardwood Flooring — Certain species of hardwood are more resistant to scratching and denting than others. A good source to determine the hardness of a species is through the Janka scale. The higher the rating on the Janka scale the more likely the species is to hold up to pet scratches.
- Luxury Vinyl Flooring — Luxury vinyl is waterproof, scratch proof, dent proof, and with the correct backing—sound dampening. This is the perfect flooring for pet owners. An embossed surface allows for traction under your pets’ paws.
- Stone Flooring — Stone is another easy-to-clean yet scratch-resistant flooring option, providing an elegant alternative to luxury vinyl.
Waterproof Flooring for Pets
Accidents are a fact of life for many pet owners — especially those with new puppies or kittens. That’s why all pet-proof flooring options are waterproof! Not only is this ideal for accident-prone pets; it also helps your floors withstand all those little spills and dribbles from the water bowl.
For waterproof flooring options, consider a product made with luxury vinyl, which comes in a huge range of colors and patterns. Luxury vinyl is tougher and more durable against moisture from urine, water, and other pet spills. With that being said, there are plenty of other water-proof and scratch-resistant flooring like treated hardwood, tile, and stone for every pet owner’s budget and style.
Types of Pet-Proof Options
When it comes to pet-proof flooring options, there are pros and cons to different materials. Our knowledgeable flooring experts are here to help you find the perfect balance. Depending on your needs and preferences, potential options include:
- Hardwood floors
- Luxury vinyl
- Waterproof carpet
Pet-Friendly Flooring Options for Dogs and Cats
At Flooring America, we understand that your pet is like a member of your family. We’re dedicated to helping you find a safe, comfortable, and attractive line of products that meets your needs — and your fluffy friend’s. Whether your primary concern is preventing water damage, staining, claw marks, or all three, count on our friendly team of experts to deliver top-quality flooring for every room in your home.
You can find more information on our Best Pet-Friendly Flooring page, which will give you some pointers and tips for getting started. You can also contact Flooring America online, or give us a call at (855) 352-2837 to ask how we can help.